A photographic journey 
Ayton Village & the Countryside
[Page six]


Go to:
Nostalgia
Contents


Village &
Countryside

Buildings
Grounds
Meeting House
Demolition
Swarthmore

Homepage

12th Century All Saints Church
Photographed September 2001
All Saints Church - Great Ayton

All Saints Church - with origins in the Norman age - is set back off Low Green. It is famous for its connection with James Cook who worshiped here in his youth; is part of the Captain Cook heritage Trail, and where the graves of his mother, brother, sister, and others of importance in his life can be found.

Originally built in 1123 the church was granted by Robert de Meynell of Whorlton Castle to the Abbott and Benedictine Convent of Whitby Abbey.

All Saints has seen many alterations over the centuries - clearly seen from the exterior. However, it is a fine example of Norman architecture.

Opening hours are: 2pm - 4.30pm daily from April to September and also 10.30 - 12.30 on Tuesdays. Admission is free

On entering the church through the porch - a 13th century addition -  the view along the nave shows the wooden box pews leading to the chancel and altar.

From the chancel steps this view shows the simplicity of original design.

Three decker pulpit

A section of the photo above left highlights the three-decker pulpit - a valuable and historic part of All Saints furniture. 

The inscription on this grave stone reads:

"In Memory of Grace Cook who died  Feb18th 1765 aged 63 yrs
and of James Cook who was buried at Marske April 1st 1779.

The above James and Grace Cook were the parents of the
celebrated circumnavigator
Captain James Cook who was born at Marton Oct 27th 1728 Educated in this village and killed at Owhyhee Dec 14th 1
779"

Captain Cook's mother's grave

Return to:
Homepage


Go to Village page one  | page two | page three
  page four | page five | page six | page seven