Friendsí School, Great Ayton, was founded in the year 1841 by
members of the Society of Friends, in order to give a good
practical education, combined with a definite religious training,
to the children of parents who are connected with the Society.
The committee, however, gladly admit other children whose parents
are willing for them to observe the ordinary regulations, one being
the attendance at our Meetings for worship.
extensions were made to the School buildings during the years 1915
and 1921, in order to improve and increase the accommodation
provided, and there is now provision for about 160 boarders - 60
girls and 100 boys between the ages of 8 and 17 years. The number
of children in the School has increased by over 70% during the
last few years.
is impossible in a Prospectus to give more than a general idea of
the work and aims of the School, and those who are interested in
education are cordially invited to visit the School, as it is only
by a personal inspection of the buildings and an interview with
the Headmaster that a true impression can be formed.
Great Ayton is easily
reached from Middlesbrough being nine miles distant - either by
train or motor-bus, and the School, which faces the Village Green,
is ten minutesí walk from the Railway Station.